David Relson wrote:
> At 04:02 AM 4/17/02, you wrote:
>
>> Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
>> Dude.....Yes.
>>
>> I have reconfigured, and recompiles kernels literally hundreds of
>> times. I am intimately
>> familiar with all the options.
>>
>> I am interested in rpm --rebuild kernel, because I am interested in
>> rebuilding the default
>> mandrake 8.2 kernel, with one new patch applied.  I intended, after
>> checking that --rebuild
>> worked (which it didn't, and which it should have), to add the
>> h323-newnat13 patch to the
>> kernel.spec file in the rpm, and generate an mdk82-default kernel +
>> h323 nat patch.
>>
>> I realize that this is a rather advanced concept, as I am in the
>> process of generating a custom
>> distribution derivative of mandrake (just as mandrake is derivative of
>> redhat).  Normally I
>> read the cooker mailinglist, but since this was a problem with the 8.2
>> kernel, and not the
>> cooker kernel, I assumed this was the place to ask.
>>
>> All I want is to generate the mdk82 kernel rpm, in the same way it was
>> generated by
>> mandrake.  I definately assume that they generated it with rpm
>> --rebuild, and not by hand
>> as you suggested.
>

> I just recompiled the secure kernel because I want to put it on my
> Pentium 133 firewall.  Look in linux/arch/i386 for the various Mandrake
> configurations for intel and compatible architectures.  Then it's the
> old "make mrproper", "make (x|menu|old)config", "make deps", etc.  It
> took some time, but wasn't hard.

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Can your compiled kernel fit on a floppy?

--
Altoine B
Maximum Time Unlimited

It has long been an article of our folklore that too much knowledge or
skill,
or especially consummate expertise, is a bad thing.  It dehumanizes
those who
achieve it, and makes difficult their commerce with just plain folks, in
whom
good old common sense has not been obliterated by mere book learning or
fancy
notions.  This popular delusion flourishes now more than ever, for we
are all
infected with it in the schools, where educationists have elevated it from
folklore to Article of Belief.  It enhances their self-esteem and lightens
their labors by providing theoretical justification for deciding that
appreciation, or even simple awareness, is more to be prized than knowledge,
and relating (to self and others), more than skill, in which minimum
competence will be quite enough.
                -- The Underground Grammarian

Linux 2.4.18-6mdk i686