I've had no luck either with the Mandrake Club downloaded version. I am
able to start all the SO applications, but they all crash when I try to
open any MS document.

There has been some talk on this on the MDK Club, it seems (to me, at
least) that the SO intallation is not too well crafted. Recently someone
posted this link, you might want to give it a try (I haven't had the
chance yet):
http://supportforum.sun.com/cgi-bin/WebX.cgi?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee9dd94

If this it doesn't work, shout and I'll email you a collection of the
posts on the subject I have seen on MDK Club.

regards,

raffaele