I have a single machine, no local network, with a broadband
(cable modem) connection.  Using msec,level 3, which uses a default
umask of 022.
        Is there any reason to create a perm.local file rather than
simply edit the settings in the /usr/share/msec/perm.xx files?  I want
to change the umask for the entire /mnt/windows tree to allow rwx for
all local users.

        Currently it is controlled in perm.3 by (I think)
/mnt/                   root.root       755
        so could I just add
/mnt/windows/*          root.windows    770
to give rwx access to local users of the group windows and wall off as
far as possible all access to someone who managed a remote login?
        If not, a brief explanation of why would be greatly appreciated,
along with a pointer to further explanation.

        And a second question.  When I get the household network up I
will be using SNF, smoothwall, or something similar.  Should each of
the local machines continue to use msec, will it be unnecessary, or can
I obviate msec by running something else on the router?

        Fred