Hi,

After the first initial positive impression of 8.2 and KDE 3.0 I start
being annoyed about things that worked in 8.1 but don't work in 8.2 (same
hardware of course).

Let me give 2 exemples:

1. EURO sign
In 8.1 I had to tweak /etc/sysconfig/i18n to get the EURO sign working in
all apps including text based apps like mc. This doesn't work anymore in
8.2. With german locale and default charset set to 8859-15 I get the EURO
sign in all HTML-based apps like Konqueror, Mozilla, and Galeon and also
in OpenOffice (that's where I need it most) but not in Kwrite, Kate, or
any text based apps.
If I use the tweak propagated on MandrakeUser.org (de_DE@EURO) I cannot
start OpenOffice because I get an error: 'OpenOffice does not support
locale entry LANG=de_DE@EURO. Closed.'
I could not get the EURO sign working in XEmacs in 8.2 and *that* has not
changed in 8.2! Would have been surprised, though....

2. Sound
Now this IS annoying! I have a notebook with the infamous SiS 630 chipset
but I got sound working (alsa) in 8.1. Now, with the same settings it
just sits there and is quiet as a fish. It gives no errors in the logs
and alsa gets started without error. I also checked the mixer settings
(alsamixer) but no sound.
It looked like it was with 8.1, 'play foo.wav' looked like it is playing
the file but no sound. In 8.1 I changed the mixer settings through
alsamixer and that was it. But not in 8.2.

modules.conf:
--------------
alias usb-interface usb-ohci
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-trident
above snd-card-trident snd-pcm-oss
alias eth0 sis900

aplay /usr/share/sounds/scream.wav
------------------------------------
Aplay: version 0.5.10 by Jaroslav Kysela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Using soundcard 'SiS 7018 PCI Audio at 0xd400, irq 11'
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/scream.wav' : Unsigned 8-bit, Rate 11025Hz, Mono

and then: quiet. After the normal duration of the wav I get back my
prompt.

There are a few other things like ugly fonts but I think I'll manage that
in due time.

wobo
--
Registered Linux User 228909      Powered By Mandrake Linux 8.1
Microsoft, Windows, Bugs, Lacking Features, IRQ Conflicts, System