On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Mcleod, Ian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone had much experience with the Dell 8200 (or even the 8100) on
> Linux Mandrake?
>
> I am about to purchase one and need to determine which hardware components
> to specify.  I have heard Lucent internal modems can work with Linux - is
> this true?  What about the Ethernet card - will 3COM internal cards work?
>
> And the sound?  They will supply a Crystal (Cyrus Logic?) CS4205 internal
> sound card chipset (apparently partly software driven?) - this looks like a
> bit of a concern too.
>
> Any ideas very welcome!!!
>
> Ian McLeod
> Customer Service Office (CSO)
> EDS (Australia) Pty Ltd
> Level 9, 108 North Tce, Adelaide, SA, 5000
> Phone: (08) 8464 1304
> Fax:      (08) 8464 2141
> email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> EDS...  The recognised global leader in ensuring clients achieve superior
> value in the Digital Economy
> SAG Account Vision
> *     EDS becomes the clear supplier of choice to South Australian based
> customers for all IT services and needs, regardless of contractual
> obligations

as a rule piggy backing is bad form on a list, but in answer to your
question Dell's like Mandrake. I've loaded Mandrake Linux on various
different Dell models with resounding and flawless success. at the moment
I've got a Dell Dimension sitting here on my desk at home happily running
Mandrake 8.2 and a Optiplex at work running the same.

--
daRcmaTTeR