[Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or I may not see the reply
 in a timely manner. Thanks!]

I recently installed Mandrake 8.2 on an IBM Thinkpad 240.  Neither
pcmcia.img nor network.img recognized my 3Com Megaherta 3CXFE575BT
10/100 PCMCIA network card, and this laptop doesn't come with a CDROM
drive (and only a few weird ones work with it) so I was forced to put
my laptop disk into my desktop, partition it, put the ISO images in a
partition, then put it back in the laptop and install from there.

When I was done, I had no network:  my PCMCIA card was not recognized,
and none of the normal networking scripts had been installed.

This card works just fine if I boot Windows on the same machine, so it
isn't bad hardware.

So I reinstalled (from that partition of ISO images) with an Orinoco
wireless card present in the machine, and at least this time it
installed all the various networking scripts, and the wireless worked.
(If I'd had a local access point, I'd have a done a network install
over the wireless in the first place, but I didn't.)

But the 3Com 10/100 card still wasn't recognized.  cardctl status says:

  Socket 0:
    3.3V CardBus card
    function 0: [ready]

whereas, for the wireless (working) card, it includes some other info
after "function 0:".  The 3Com card beeped once upon insertion; the
wireless beeped twice (and worked).

After a great deal of rather fruitless web-searching, I decided to
follow the instructions in PCMCIA HOWTO and compile the 3.1.33 version
of pcmcia-cs (MDK 8.2 ships with .31) and install it.  Big mistake.
I configured, made, and installed, and now (after rebooting) lsmod
doesn't report any pcmcia modules loaded, and nothing pcmcia-related
works[1].  Given that installation rewrites a ton of files, I'm now
looking at a tedious and frustrating debugging process to have even a
hope of finding out what the installer broke.  Shouldn't this have
Just Worked?  [I configured w/the defaults, meaning it installed 32-bit
mode (this card is 32-bit), did -not- install PnP, used the running
kernel as its source of options, etc.]

What -should- I have done, and what should I do now?  Other things on
the web seem to imply that there shouldn't have been any problem with
a 3Com 575 card, but neither the installer images nor the running
system noticed it.  What gives?

And right now, of course, my laptop has no working network at all.
I was paranoid and tarred up copies of / and /usr before I installed
pcmcia, though restoring them will be painful (since no doubt I only
want to bash certain parts of / and /usr to restore PCMCIA at least
to the state it was in before[2]).  I -could- just give up and reinstall
the entire OS (that installation partition is still there); I wonder
if that would be simpler.  But neither of these will, by themselves,
get non-wireless PCMCIA operation working; what will?

More details (various outputs from what I did, etc) available if
someone thinks they'll help; I'm not including them here because
they'd just bloat the message---and because I'll have to copy them
to the laptop's windows partition and reboot just to get them off
the machine...

[1] ...but lsmod now reports a whole pile more sound-related modules!
It had a couple before; now there are something like 10 lines of 'em.
Since I haven't had a chance to get any sounds onto the machine, I
haven't tested sound, either before my attempted reinstallation of
pcmcia, or now; that will come after I get the network functional.
Anyone have any idea what's going on here?  [Ordinary beeping worked
before and after, but I presume that's independent of all these kernel
sound modules.]  /var/log/messages had been reporting a whole bunch of
sound-related complaints (before my pcmcia reinstall), but I haven't
(yet) pursued them.  But I'm puzzled why lsmod suddenly shows a whole
bunch more, since sound doesn't use pcmcia; perhaps it was the depmod
that the pcmcia installation ran?  Shouldn't the MDK installer have
done the right thing here when I first installed MDK 8.2?

[2] Running "find / -mmin -120 -o -cmin -120 -ls" finds suspiciously
few modified files (even though I ran it 10 minutes after the
installation); it pretty much finds only stuff in /dev,
/var/log/ksyms*, /lib/dev-state/* (???), and /etc/pcmcia/*.0
(about 5 files there; I think these might have been backed-up
copies of my original options).  But I'd have thought I'd have
seen some -new- files somewhere...  so I'm suspicious that my
find isn't finding places in the filesystem I may need to restore
from those tarfiles I made...