On Sat, 2002-05-04 at 00:34, Charles Muller wrote:
> I noticed that Win4Lin is now available on the Mandrake Club download
> site. For one not familiar with the product, the information on their
> web site regarding how it functions is scanty. But I am guessing that it
> works something like VMWare, in that you install Win4Lin, and then
> install Win98 or whatever using installation disks.
>
> Has anyone used this product who is willing to briefly evaluate it? How
> difficult was the install? How well did it function afterwards?

Here's my brief take on Win4Lin:

I've used versions 2 and 3, and haven't bothered to upgrade because 3.0
does everything I need it to. As you surmise, it allows you to install
Windows 9x (95, 98, 98SE for version 3, Win4Lin v4 adds WinME support)
to a win/ directory within your home directory on a Linux partition. On
a multiuser system, as far as I know, each user must do their own
install into their home directory, so it can start taking up a lot of
disk space. But on my single-user (me) laptop it works great.

There are only a couple of apps that I really need for Windows, one of
them being Client Access (5250 telnet client for IBM AS/400). It sort-of
worked okay in version 2, but in version 3 I got all the functionality
available, including Operations Navigator (GUI Sysadmin tool for
AS/400). The other is MS Office, for the rare occasion that OpenOffice
can't handle a complex Word document.

Win4Lin requires a custom kernel, provided by Netraverse or you can
apply their source code patch and compile your own. I just used their
kernel compiled for Mandrake 8.1, and it works fine. It emulates all of
your existing hardware for Windows, essentially providing a "hardware
API" to Windows itself. The hardware shows up as "Merge x", where "x" is
the function of the hardware (monitor, network adapter, etc.). "Merge"
is a holdover from the original SCO Unix product which Netraverse used
to create Win4Lin.

Win4Lin uses 24 MB of RAM by default when it launches Windows, and in
version 3 it can grab up to 64 MB if you tell it to. I think v4 can use
up to 128, but I don't remember for sure. This is good because some apps
require a minimum amount of RAM just to install (or else the installer
will simply exit), so I run mine with 64 MB. I have 256 total, so it's
not like I am hurting for memory.

In my experience, even running with only 24 MB RAM, Win98SE runs faster
under Win4Lin than it does natively! I think it has something to do with
Linux's better filesystem performance and memory handling. On the flip
side, though, I have noticed that Windows will run more slowly if I
switch focus to a different app in Linux. My guess is that Win4Lin does
some sort of prioritizing, so that if the Windows "window" has focus on
my desktop then it is given a bigger timeslice of processing time, but
if it loses focus then it is given a smaller slice.

Go here to see a screenshot of Win4Lin in action on my Gnome desktop:
http://sildara.dyndns.org/snapshot1.png.

Well, that was more than I intended to say. Hope it answers your
questions. Otherwise, feel free to ask.

--
Dave Sherman                          Beware the wrath of dragons,
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA                        for you are crunchy,