Belkie, Dan wrote:

>Hey Guys!
>I have a simple Mandrake 8.1 box as my router / firewall. I'm looking at
>putting a couple of web servers behind the firewall on my LAN. does anyone
>know of a good way to set up rules so that the FW can know to send port 80
>request to xyz.com to one server and abc.com to another?
>
>I guess another question can anyone suggest a good firewall solution? I
>tried Mandrakes SNF 7.2 but it failed.
>
>thoughts?
>
>Thanks!!
>
>--
>=============================
>Dan

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Actually you want to use squid to do that.  The trick is simple.  We
call that accelerator mode since squid can cache some responses for both.

Accelerator--<application>Squid</application> can function as THE
connection on port 80 of a server and can relay requests to another
server or servers, caching the results to increase apparent speed.
Those other servers might be on the same machine or on different ones.

The method is called a custom redirect program and here is a simple example:

<GUILabel>Custom redirect program</GUILabel> This list of options was
quiet until this one arrived.  This setting allows
<application>Squid</application> to be an accelerator for Several or
<emphasis>all</emphasis> servers in the local network.  An example
would be two apache servers at, say <hardware>192.168.1.7</hardware>
and <hardware>192.168.1.17</hardware> <application>Squid</application>
is on the internet gateway and exposing port 80 for
<Hardware>www.domain1.net</Hardware> and
<Hardware>www.domain2.org</Hardware>.
The redirect program might look something like this.
</Para>
</ListItem>
</OrderedList>

Screen>
&num;

#!/usr/bin/perl

while (&lt;&gt;) &lcub;

s@http://192&bsol;.168&bsol;.1&bsol;.7@http://www.domain1.net

s@http://192&bsol;.168&bsol;.1&bsol;.17@http://www.domain2.org

print;

I think you can backtranslate the sgml codings here.  As you can see,
the script is very simple.

Civileme