Then what is the right address?

-----Original Message-----
From: Denis HAVLIK [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 3:42 PM
To: Gruber, Doug
Cc: Expert list
Subject: [expert] Re: gnome audio, terminal transparency, and backgroud
color

wrong address...

On Mon, 6 May 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

+ Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 14:05:22 -0500
+ From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+ To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+ Subject: gnome audio, terminal transparency, and backgroud color
+
+ I have set ML 8.2 on three different boxes now and all have the same
+ symptoms.  I looked all over and have found nothing, so now I turn to you,
+ the people on the expert mailing list.  Three things, and I will try to be
+ as detailed as possibile, and please excuse my spelling, spell check is
+ screwed up.
+
+ 1.  Gnome sound events dont work.  XMMS works, Xmovie plays, the cdplayer
+ plays.  It is just the gnome sound events dont play.  If you go in to the
+ gnome control center and click sounds, they are enable there.  Both
'Enable
+ sound server startup' and 'Sounds for events' are checked.  If you click
on
+ 'Play' for any of the sounds, they dont play, BUT if you click 'Apply' and
+ wait a couple of seconds for it to think, you can then click on any one of
+ the sounds and hit 'Play' and they work.  As soon as you close out the
sound
+ properties, no more.  If you go back in, you are right back to start where
+ it wont play any sounds unless you click 'Apply' again.
+
+ 2.  Gnome terminals refuse to do transparent windows.  If you click
+ 'Settings' Preference' and choose the 'Image' tab, you can select
+ 'Transparent' but it does nothing.  Just black.  You can change it to a
+ different color and that works, or you can use an image as a background
and
+ that works, but never transparent.
+
+ 3.  The gnome background color will not stay.  I can go in and change it
by
+ hand, log out, and log back in and it is back to that bright red color.  I
+ have 'Automatically save changes to session' checked under the 'Startup
+ Programs' in gnome control center too.
+
+ I figure that I must have inadvertantly not installed something that is
not
+ required to make gnome run, but really damn useful : ).  I hope I was
+ descriptive enought to help anyone help me.  So, help me please, and I
+ appreciate your time for reading all of this if you have.  Thanks . . .
+
+ Doug Gruber
+
+ "Jim Miller is our quarterback, just like Olin Kreutz is our center and
the
+ A-Train (Anthony Thomas) is our running back. That's not to say some
phenom
+ can't come out of the woodwork and surprise everybody and get it done. I
+ would never say that guy's the starter forever regardless of what
happens."
+ - Bears head coach Dick Jauron.
+

Dr. Denis Havlik               http://MandrakeForum.com
Mandrakesoft           |||     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Community             (@ @)    (private: [EMAIL PROTECTED])
Our housekeeper doesn't do Windows and neither do WE! (L.P. Santuro)