Well, I should have been more clear, and maybe the problem isn't as simple
as I thought. On my 7.2 box, #ServerName your.server.name is still commented
out, but apache is able to use gethostbyname() and correctly fill in the
welcome screen in apache.

    In 8.2, something is fishy.

    [Skyline] # hostname
    Skyline.3111Skyline.com

That looks OK

    [Skyline] # hostname --fqdn
    Unknown host

That looks bad

    So it seems the problem with apache isn't with apache or httpd.conf, but
rather with my hostname setup. I have set hostname and domainname, and I can't
figure out why hostname --fqdn would return unknown host?

    What config file am I failing to check? /etc/sysconfig/network has the
right hostname.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN * BERTIN, PLLC