The enterprise kernel is actually a combination
of SMP and HIGHMEN options in order not to have
too many standard kernels. I do not need the SMP
option only the HIGHMEM option. This is necessary if
you have more than about 900 Mb RAM.
I know that our "freeze" problem is caused by
the HIGHMEM option. I recompiled the kernel without
SMP but with HIGHMEM, and it still froze.
Even though a problem is labeled SMP it could
actually very well be a HIGHMEM problem.

 -- Bjarne