C.H. Close wrote:

>Hi
>
>       I am having a problem persuading Bash to accept a script to add some
>additional environment variable to a Konsole environment.
>
>The script I am using simply adds some stuff to the PATH statement as
>well as some extra environment variables typically the file contains
>statements as follows.
>

>                       PATH=$VARKON_ROOT/bin:$PATH
>                       export PATH
>
>In previous versions of UNIX I have used making the script file
>executable and running it resulted in the PATH (in this case) having the
>additional directory appended to it, this also worked for new
>environment variables. When I do the same thing in Linux in a Konsole
>terminal under KDE the environment does not change. As far as I can
>glean from reading the man page for Bash this should work. If I run the
>commands from the prompt everything works fine but of course this is
>tedious and should not be necessary.
>
>Can anyone guide me as what I am doing wrong?
>

>Colin Close
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Ummm

you can

unset DISPLAY

in a terminal window and still use the GUI on the main screen.  This is
not accidental.  If you want to change the PATH for a user, then put the
path in ~/.bashrc or ~/.bashprofile, or

source (the file where your PATH is set)
inside scripts that need it.

Then the default is there for the user at login, else the changes to
environment have a window as their scope (how else could it be and
multitask properly?).

Civileme