Hi guys,

I'm sadly experiencing a lot of freezes in my LM 8.1 box. I just hope I
won't have to give up saying that "Linux does not hang" to my buddies,
but right now it's kind of difficult. I'm having daily hang-ups.

Here goes a quick summary of my system :
Linux Mandrake 8.1, using ext3, on a (somewhat problematic I know)
A7V133 with a Duron 800 (not overclocked).
2 sticks of Micron PC133 (256+128)
TNT2M64 AGP :^(, XFree 4.0.3, latest Nvidia binary drivers
kernels 2.4.8-26mdk, 2.4.8 (recompiled), 2.4.18 (stock Linus kernel)

Well , what happens is that I've been experiencing these freezes for
about two weeks now. I haven't made any major modification to the system
prior to the hang-ups. The system seems to freeze completely; at first I
thought it was just X locking (not commom, but not quite unexpected) but
I realized there was something more deeply wrong when I couldn't telnet
into my machine. Telnet wouldn't reply; it would just stay at the prompt
without giving an access denied, couldn't connect or any other error.
Ping , strangely, worked fine. Prior to that, my system had been
rock-stable for months.

I started trying to figure out what was wrong; there was nothing in the
logs. The system would just die. I thought it could be a (strange) IRQ
conflict problem ( since as I said my system had been running well for
months) and moved my ethernet board to another PCI slot. The hangs were
still there. Can someone tell me if an IRQ conflict can do that sort of
thing? The hang-ups always seem to happen when I am either using my
(soft)modem or xmms (problem is that I'm almost always doing these, so
it 's not much of a information).

Only once I got an error in the log; it said the kernel couldn't handle
a paging request, so I began to suspect it was a memory problem. I went
to BIOS and lowered the settings of the memory; then I remembered
reading somewhere that having the kernel optmized for Athlon/Durons
sometimes led people to hangs, so I downloaded the latest (2.4.18)
kernel, an compiled it without going for Athlon arch. Which actually got
me somewhere, everything hanged but the mouse; this time I managed to
telnet into my machine and seemed that X was consuming 101% CPU (well,
something like 99,5% actually). But the day after I got another complete
freeze.

I have some people saying that I should do a BIOS update, install LM8.2,
but I don't think any of these may help since the system was performing
normally just a while ago. I am limited right now to boot into window$
(blergh!) and see if the if it also freezes (not much of a deal,
considering it is window$, but even my window$ didn't have daily
freezes). If it does, then it is most probably a hardware problem. What
bothers me is that it never freezes when I'm running CPU/memory
intensive programs, like Quake3 or watching DivX/DVDs. I also tested the
memory (and other subsystems) in window$ using Sandra2001 and it
reported no problems. If it were a hardware problem then it was bound to
happen during a stress situation...

I am very willing to listen to ANY suggestion anyone might have, since I
am becoming quite a bit desperate about it. Also if anyone has had any
similar problem , I'd be more than happy to listen, perhaps I can find a
solution to my problems.

TIA,

Jeferson L. Zacco
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(if possible include a CC to my e-mail above)

shinjiteiru shinjirareru,
korekara aruku kono michi wo!
kimi ga iru yo, boku ga iru yo
sore ijou nani mo iranai.