Part of the design for shared libraries includes the ability to have
different versions exist on a machine and have the proper one be used.  If
you take a look in /usr/lib, you'll see lots of version numbers in the
library names.  So, by theory and design one should be able to have
glibc-2.1.3 and glibc-2.2.0 coexist on a machine without trouble.

Note the above statements appear to be theory and design.  They are not
necessarily fact.

At least twice I have installed a new version of glibc, only to discover
that basic commands like "ls" no longer work because the want the _old_
version of glibc.

The only safe way I know of upgrading glibc is to boot from the
installation CDs and do a system upgrade.

David