et wrote:

>how did you install? upgrade? expert? reformated /? what does dmseg say?
>
>On Sunday 02 June 2002 01:58 am, you wrote:
>
>>Thought I'd start the upgrade path on the machine whih originally brought
>>me to Mandrake - my Digital HiNote VP.
>>
>>Tarred up the /etc, /home, chucked them on server, installed 8.2
>>
>>All well so far, not a problem, until ......
>>
>>.... on reboot, disk thrashed around for ages, just after the "detecting
>>new hardware" item
>>
>>Eventually (we're talking 20 minutes here), a login prompt. OK, but no
>>network & no sound.
>>
>>Looked in old modules.conf, loaded and inserted relevant sound drivers
>>(cs4232) - one issue fixed.
>>
>>The other still remains. I have a Compaq combo modem/100/10 card, which
>>uses the xirc2ps_cs module. If the card is in at boot, the system takes
>>forever to boot, complaining about too many open files, and when it does
>>come up, there is no network.
>>
>>Manually ejecting the card and reinserting it loads the modules and brings
>>the network up, but only at 10 (I have a 100 network).
>>
>>All this worked perfectly under 7.x though 8.1 - so something seems to have
>>gotten broken here.
>>
>>Ideas? Suggestions? Civileme???
>>
>>All welcome....and thanked

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Ummm at the boot splash screen

esc

then

linux noapic

If that works, then put

noapic

in the append line of every linux boot

That was one of the big changes in the kernel.  We had folks with
multiple Promise or HPT controllers who were failing at install in 8.1
because we had not enabled apic; now every chipset with a broken clock
is giving the default kernel fits.

Civileme

As an exercise for the student wth is APIC?  Is it something different
from ACPI, and wth is ACPI, too?  Linux does not yet have good support
for ACPI, by the way.