I have a desktop containing a PCI to PCMCIA card with an Orinoco Gold and a
laptop using a Zoomair prism2-based wlan card.  I know the Zoomair works fine
as I have successfully used it to connect to various wireless networks.  I
have not had the same experience with the Orinoco card, however.

I am trying to get a simple ad-hoc connection working between my desktop and
my laptop.  I have both cards set to channel 6, ad-hoc mode, and set to an
ESSID of "Homegate".  I set the IP address of the laptop wlan0 to 10.0.0.2
and the desktop eth0 (the orinoco) to 10.0.0.1.  These are the basic settings
from which I have tried to work from to get a successful communication
between the two systems.  No worky.  Nothing I have tried has worked to get
these systems to communicate, let alone see each other.

I thought I was going to succeed when I setup a dhcp server on my laptop
listening through the wlan0 and setup the desktop eth0 to use dhcp.  When I
try an "ifup eth0" the desktop tries to get an address but fails.  Meanwhile,
my laptop produces log messages indicating that at least an attempt at a
request for an address was made:

Jun  3 13:35:57 localhost dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:02:2d:3c:26:71 via wlan0
Jun  3 13:35:57 localhost dhcpd: icmp_echorequest 10.0.0.255: Permission
denied
Jun  3 13:35:58 localhost dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.0.0.255 to 00:02:2d:3c:26:71
via wlan0

Now the MAC address above is from the Orinoco so I feel closer but still...
Anyone have any pointers or words of wisdom?

praedor