On Monday 03 June 2002 10:18 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Praedor Tempus wrote:
> > Well?  Pray-tell, how does one go about appending a new user to Passwd
> > with UID 0?  Altering Passwd should itself require root priviledges - I
> > cannot even get in to single user mode to do damage without my root
> > passwd.  I haven't had to do it for a long time, but I believe this is
> > also true when booting up with a CD and doing "rescue".
> >
> > Nonetheless, I would love to know how one could do as you describe.  Fill
> > us in please.
>
> You don't need root access to be able to mount a filesystem with r/w
> privs. With a rescue disk the hard drive can be mounted with:
>   mkdir /hd2
>   mount /dev/hda2 /dev/hd2
>
> At this point you could cd to /hd2/etc then edit the passwd file
> directly.

Yeah, ok, but what about the actual password?  I just took a look at my
/etc/passwd file and naturally saw nothing.  The passwords are stored in my
/etc/shadow file, which is encrypted.  You may be able to simply append
someone to /etc/passwd but what about giving that someone a password?  It
wouldn't be trivial to create a password to be appended to the shadow file.
I believe you'd need to know the random seed, etc, to create the appropriate
encrypted version of the desired password for this new UID 0 user.

praedor