On Thursday 18 April 2002 19:09, you wrote:
> The problem:
>       KDE doesn't respect locale setting (LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_ALL...)
>    1. I installed  Mandrake 8.2 using its CD1 and CD2. During its
> installation, I chose Simplified Chinese (zh_CN.GB2312) as installation
> language, and also chose other languages (includeing en_US) to be
> available after installation.
>    2. After installation, as expected, KDE uses Chinese fonts for
> display. Then I decided to switch back to English fonts without much
> success: I changed /etc/sysconfig/i18n to use en_US, and I don't have
> local .18n; I also changed /etc/menu-methods/lang.h to make lang() and
> languages() return en_US only. Now, running "locale" shows the
> following:

You must modify the language for KDE in 2 places: The ~/.i18n  [well, you
chose /etc/sysconconf/i18n] as well as in the KDE control center.
You can now go to the KDE control center->Personalization->Country and
language and change Country, Language and Charset to your liking. You may
also want to change your fonts because right now they are best suited for
Chinese.

You can also use localedrake: Run /usr/sbin/localedrake as a regular user
and select the language that you want to use. You can run it either in a
console or in X. The localedrake modifies your ~/.i18n file and the KDE
control center settings, all in one sweep. It's actually very nice for
people that want to switch from one language environment to another.

Narfi.