Message too long :(  I try to answer a little part of it and hope I
can give you some idea.

AFAIK, Linux filesystem is in Unicode.  But here you're dealing with
web, and that would depend on how the browser and the server (if there's
any) implement Unicode.

Pupeno wrote:

> I'm writting some web pages, they're xhtml using utf-8. This page has
> links to some files wich have extended characters in their name but I
> don't know if they're unicode or latin1 (I thin they aren't unicode
> and that's my problem). I have try to make the links in a lot of
> diferent ways obtaining diferent types of failures: The file name in
> question is: text/lyric/Sandra Fernández - Ojos de Gato Azul.txt 1)
> text/lyric/Sandra%20Fern%e1ndez%20-%20Ojos%20de%20Gato%20Azul.txt

     If you're using %e1 to represent "á", you're using Latin-1.  "á" in
Unicode (UCS-2) is indeed U+00E1, but in UTF-8, it is \xC3 \xA1, that I
suppose in escape form it is simply %C3%A1.

> There any extended char is it's hex notation, spaces doesn't represent
> any problem, but á does, since the á in the page is a á in utf-8 and
> the á in the file name is an á (e1) in latin1, I think. This works on
> mozilla and works in IE. But not on Konqueror, it sees that
> interprates the character %e1 and the n all toghether as an unicode
> char or something like that because the URL end's up being:
> text/lyric/Sandra Fern�dez - Ojos de Gato Azul.txt and the obvious
> error: The requested URL /text/lyric/Sandra Fern?dez - Ojos de Gato
> Azul.txt was not found on this server.

     This behaviour of Konqueror seems correct because in UTF-8, it's
expected to have something after \xE1.