Andrew wrote:

>My computer seems to randomly freeze up. It stops responding to
>everything (mouse, keyboard, CTRL+ALT+BKSPC). This only happens
>when I am running X11. I haven't found a pattern that shows a
>specific app causing the freeze. I have had combinations of
>IceWM, KDE2.2 and 3, having combinations of StarOffice5.2,
>Konquoror, FreeAmp, and Ogg123, open when a crash occurs. I
>don't think that its a hardware issue, as this never happens
>under Win98SE, and HardDrake properly detected all my hardware.
>I have tried looking in some log files in /var/log to find a
>pattern. No luck.
>
>My questions:
>1. Is there a systematic way to detemine what is causing the
>crashes?
>2. What specific log files should I look at?
>3. Anyone else had this problem? Fixes?

I regret to say this, but such 'patternless freezes' are very likely a hardware
problem as Linux is much tougher on hardware than Win98; the three times it happened
to me there turned out to be something physically wrong with the machine.

First off I would look inside and make sure everything's seated properly in its
sockets and connectors are tight; repeatedly turning a machine on and off can
eventually work chips loose in their sockets because they get hot and cold, thus
expand and contract, over and over again.

(On one occasion a DIMM had worked itself loose; on the second the BIOS had worked
itself loose; on the third, unfortunately, the hard disk blew shortly thereafter).

Alastair