skidley grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> The not being able to login as root is a result of your msec level, but
> you can keep that level and change things by creating a
> /etc/security/msec/level.local
> in it add this:
>
> from mseclib import *
>
> allow_root_login(1)

Actually, I'm running at msec level 2 ("standard").  At least as of ML 8.1,
that level allowed root logins from the console (I've got telnetd turned
off, and my sshd_conf file has root login disabled.  I figure that if
someone has broken into my home, I've got more to worry about then whether
or not someone is trying random root passwords to login to my box... :)

But I'll put that in and see what happens.  Thanks for the pointer!

> Read man mseclib for the list of options you can change.
> Also checkout http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/msec.php

That's good stuff to know about as well.  Again, thanks!

                    --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!
 http://www.akaMail.com/pgpkey/davidg or key server