On Saturday 01 June 2002 19:58, J. Craig Woods wrote:
> WRONG AGAIN! The mail server, smtp.mandrax.org is not, repeat *NOT*,
> doing a reverse dns lookup on ip addresses (please see my *many* posts
> on this issue).

I investigated a little bit more on this subject, and I found a post of Wietse
Venema (Postfix's author) that says:

====== CLIP HERE ======

> said: 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname,
> [195.xxx.xxx.xxx])

The SMTP server is unable to find the hostname that belongs to the
IP address 195.xxx.yyy.zzz.

The error is temporary (450 means try again later). This probably
means that the address->hostname lookup timed out.

In order to fid out what DNS server is responsible for your
address->hostname information, query for:

        dig mx yyy.xxx.195.in-addr.arpa.

or

        host -t ns yyy.xxx.195.in-addr.arpa.

So, as I noticed before, It's not only up to you to have your DNS properly
configured, but is your ISP that has to set up a reverse zone for you.
Or am I wrong again?

bye

--
"Errare e' umano. Vagabondare e' reato"