I'm having a terrible time printing from my Mandrake 8.2 system to an
OfficeJet K60 spooled on Win2K.

I use SMB to print. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesn't; the
pattern has been completely random. When it doesn't work, the document
will appear briefly in my Win2K queue but disappears with no printer
activity before any page or size data comes in. As best I can tell from
my packet sniffer, the connection is established but no actual data
passes through.

I expect Win2K to give me little or no diagnostics, and it doesn't. But
neither does the Samba system on Linux. All I (sometimes) get is the
Cupsomatic filter stopping with "status 32" just after the samba backend
starts up.

When printing DOES work, however, it performs brilliantly, and I do
everything reasonable to maintain whatever settings and configurations I
made to accomplish it. But a week and a restart later, nothing.

SMB works fine for file sharing, however. Absolutely no problems
reading-writing a shared directory on the Win2K pc. And I tried going
the other direction: setting up Win2K to accept LPD connections from
Unix. That didn't work either;. Win2K complains Linux sends it "illegal
instructions" over the port and rejects the job.

Any ideas?

-- j