daRcmaTTeR wrote:
> #####################################
> # detecting the running process
> #####################################
> proc=`ps r|grep <process-name>`  # the "apostrophe" looking character is
>                                  # NOT an apostrophe and is necessary
>                                  # for the entire command with arguments
>                                  # to be loaded into the variable

Mark,

Thanks for this -- I like your coding / commenting style!  I know some
of the experienced "bashers" might not, but it sure is helpful for a
newbie.  ;-)

No doubt, this will find it's way to WikiLearn, maybe after you
"publish" the entire script.

Nah, I won't wait, I'll put it on a page:
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/BashCheckForARunningProcess --
we can change the name when/if someone thinks of something more
appropriate.

Feel free to use this WikiLearn page as your "whiteboard" for
collaboration while you work out the rest of it.

regards,
Randy Kramer