700 is fine as long as you don't want your users to have webpages.  If you
don't plan to allow them to have a website (or no one uses it but
yourself), then you can have it set to 700.  If you have the user as a
member in the apache group, and have the directory owned by the apache
group, then you can remove the execute permission from other (not sure what
mode that is).  Basically:

user part of apache group - can enter the directory, but not list anything.
 Even if they do know the specific name of a file in the directory, they
won't be able to write to it unless it is both owned by the apache group
and writable by the apache group (or has write permission enabled for other).

user not part of apache group - cannot enter directory, can't list anything.

If you want to keep websites enabled for your users, that's basically the
best you're going to do, other than locking down any unneeded services.

[root@server home]# su - mvirontest
[mvirontest@server mvirontest]$ ls
tmp/
[mvirontest@server mvirontest]$ cd ..
[mvirontest@server home]$ cd mviron
[mvirontest@server mviron]$ ls
ls: .: Permission denied
[mvirontest@server mviron]$ ls -al
ls: .: Permission denied
[mvirontest@server mviron]$

Michael Viron
Project Manager / Primary Developer & Manager of Online Operations
General Education Online