Recently, I've been seeing a commercial on TV about an Emmerson Switchboard.
It plugs into your phone line prior to your telephone, answering machine, and
computer modem.  It permits you to use your modem to be connected but also
alerts you to any incoming calls so you can pick up and talk without losing
your modem connection.  Nifty.
  Then, I recently bought a PCI US Robotics modem (a real modem, not a
winmodem...and PCI!) and upon installing its windoze software and drivers I
see an app is included that does the same thing as the Emmerson Switchboard.
It is an app that ties to the modem and is able to detect incoming calls
while you are connected to the net, alert you, permit you to retain your
modem connection but answer the incoming call.
  Since seeing this, I have wondered if there is any linux app that can do
this.  If not it would be great to have.  I, like many others, am stuck with
a modem connection and will be so limited for the foreseeable future.  It is
not worth it to buy another phoneline just for a modem...so a device or app
like what I describe is a good thing (tm).  Does anyone know of such a beast
for linux?  If not, how about creating it?  Don't ask me I am not a
programmer...

praedor