I'm trying to print to a Windows printer over SAMBA on Mandrake 8.2.

When I add the device, the first notable error in the CUPS error_log is

  LoadDevices: Added device "smb"...
  StartListening: NumListeners=3
  StartListening: address=7f000001 port=631
  Unable to bind to socket - Address already in use.

Later on, while trying to print something, I get...
  foomatic-gswrapper: gs '-dBATCH' -dSAFER'  etc. etc. etc.
  **** Unable to open initial device, quitting.

Assuming these two events are related, what can I do about a socket
"already in use"?

What do I do to diagnose which socket and what's locking it up?

-- j