On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 00:34:17 -0400
tarvid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said with temporary authority

> Why would anybody use a $40 hub when an $800 switch will do.

Actually I've got a 5 port D-Link switched hub model DSS-5+ (yes it is
switched I've got 1 10mbps box and 2 100mpbs boxes connected all the
time and my laptops I have come in are either 10 or 100) It only cost
49.95.... it's a year old and haven't had a problem one with it.  As for
cost effective.  Check out the used parts stores.  You can pick up
10mbps NE2000 cards for about 5 bucks apiece grab 4 if you need 2 and
keep the others as "spares"  These are ISA cards and they are generally
very reliable.  Even old ISA 3coms can be gotten cheap.  One supplier
near me (Central Computer) still sells new ISA NIC cards because of the
number of people doing just what you are doing with old boxes is great
enough it justifies a small store handling them.  Since your connection
via DSL or Cable rarely exceeds 10mbps ..... it won't slow you down a
bit.  Keeps the 100mbps cards for box to box transfers inside the LAN.

James