On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 23:30, dfox wrote:
> > Lyvim - this is way cool - keep it coming. I am a bit skeptical that
> > it would work, since xmms is playing the file in the background but
> > hell, it's going to be worth a try. :)
>
> Following up:
>
> There is a wrinkle - first you can issue ./configure --prefix=/usr
> instead of editing the Makefile, but that's a pretty minor issue.
> Sox's idea of where the manual pages differs from where Makdrake
> puts them,though. If you do a 'man sox' after you do an install,
> you'll think the old version is still there :(.

You know, I had recompiled the latest sox srpm, which matches the latest
CVS download, and installed the resultant rpm. Thus I was seeing man
pages with the same version as the CVS sox.  And I wasn't watching when
sox installed it's man pages, so I completely missed all this.  I've
been depending on the source documentation moreso than the man pages;
since you caught this things should be much better.

> So we need to clean up: sox puts the man pages in /usr/man/man1 instead of
> /usr/share/man/man1. By default, they are not compressed, and Mandtrake
> compresses its manpages using bzip2 compression.
>
> So as root, you'll need to cd into /usr/share/man1 and move the
> sox manpages to /usr/share/man/man1:
>
> cd /usr/man/man1
> mv sox.1 soxmix.1 play.1 /usr/share/man/man1
>
> Then compress sox.1:
>
> cd /usr/share/man/man1
> rm -f sox.1.bz2
> bzip2 sox.1
> rm -f play.1.bz2
> bzip2 play.1
>
> # play is pretty short, so bzip2 is optional, but you don't
> want to carry two copies of the same manpage...
>
> Since 'rec' is a link to the play manpage, you'll need to re-establish
> the right links. 'soxmix' is also a link to the 'sox' manpage.
>
> rm -f soxmix.1* rec.1*
> ln -sf sox.1.bz2 soxmix.1.bz2
> ln -sf play.1.bz2 rec.1.bz2

Excellent and competent help, dfox.  Some extra points here you might
want to know about...

soxexam.1.bz2 is still in /usr/share/man/man1 and needs to be deleted

soxexam.1 is in /usr/man/man1 and needs to be moved and compressed;
thus:

cd /usr/share/man/man1
rm soxexam.1.bz2
mv /usr/man/man1/soxexam.1 .  (Everyone else; don't forget or miss the
last space-dot on this move command line)

bzip2 soxexam.1

And finally:

cd /usr
rm -rf man

Deleting what the source to binary install put in place, since we are
finished.

> Now you should have updated manual pages in the right place.
>

> One other slight thing - your original post has a bunch of
> =20 characters at ends of lines. This may cause it to be
> harder to read (ex 'login' becomes 'login=20'.)

Major yeechhh!!  I will have to be careful how I paste into the
Evolution windows in the future; thanks for letting me know.  I thought
I was broadcasting straight text.  I'll check the settings; this
Evolution install is just a little over a week and 1/2 old.

BTW, I followed your instructions (and added mine), and guess what; the
man pages now reflect an entire section on Ogg Vorbis.  Very primo cool.

Thanks, dfox.  :)

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2