> If not, then there's something very amiss, cause sox usually tells you
> what is going on; I've never seen it unable to do anything at all
> before. At the very least you should be getting an empty wav file.  BTW,

And I've found that when going direct to .ogg if the record slider isn't
toggled apropriately, one ends up with a very small .ogg file even after
lettnig it record for sometime. That's a clue that no (or at the very
least, not enough) data is being sent to and from the sound card.

I suppose the card needs to be 'full-duplex' in order to make this
work - maybe not. But most of the modern sound cards probably are. (That
lets you talk and record at the same time, useful for PC Phone type
stuff, fwiw.)