On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 01:21, bascule wrote:
> On Saturday 22 June 2002 2:14 pm, you wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 08:34, bascule wrote:
> > > is it possible to run kdm on two machines and have a local X console on
> > > one AND login remotely from the other machine and run X?
>
> i want to be able to login to an x session on a server from my workstation
> or run an x sesion on the server locally
> the workstation runs mandrake8.2 and the server runs prosuite 8.2 download
> edition

I see what you're trying to do...it works perfectly for me though...
I normally login to my server and someone remotely X's in from a slow
workstation (in fact, it's happening right now!).

I don't know what is happening but AFAIK:

1. you can keep the /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers as it is (automagically runs a
display) and you can also let prefdm/kdm startup on your server machine (when
I mean server, I mean the powerful network server machine, not the X-way of
thinking which is reversed).  However, if you want to use startx on your
server, you must disable the line in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers but still allow
prefdm/kdm to run.

2. to start the x session from the workstation, type X -query
<server>....actually just in case, type X :1 -query server.

3. your problems may be related to having displays already started and startx
fails because it tries to open up display :0 (symptom is usually "Cannot open
display")...this is why you need to comment out /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers if you
want to use startx.  Also, simply telinit 3; telinit 5 is usually not enough
(it doesn't kill enough processes).  You need to clean up the "mess" by
telinit 3; killall kdm; killall X; telinit 5.  This is probably causing you
most of the trouble.

4. Ok, here is the way to debug:

On your server:
a) Change all those lines I told you to touch (including commenting out the
line in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers) on your server machine.
b) telinit 3
c) killall X
d) killall kdm
e) kdm
At this point, kdm would read your new settings and hopefully it will not pop
up a new display (i.e. it will _not_ bring up a login screen).
f) type startx...
Does it work (it should)?

Then, on your thinclient/workstation:
a) telinit 3
b) killall X
c) killall kdm
d) X :1 -query <server>
Does it bring up the login screen of your server (it should)?

If all this works, kill all your X displays and kdms on both computers.
Then telinit 5 on both (again, kdm should _not_ bring up a login screen on the
server).  Try startx on your server (does it work?).  Then try the X :1
-query <server> (does that work?).

If all this works, all you need to do is comment out the line in
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers for your workstation also so that you don't have to
type "X :1" instead of X.  btw, what is Xnest?

Thanks,
pesarif