On Wednesday 03 July 2002 01:27 pm, you wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:32:04 -0400
>
> et <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > F1 at the splash screen and at the boot prompt enter
> > >
> > > linux mem=(total ram-video ram)
> > >
> > > If your vid is say 16mb then you need to enter linux mem=240M
> >
> > why would this be different between 8.1 and 8.2?
> > "MDK 8.1 installs without a hitch".
>
> It is not really different.
> But Any changes to an OS can and often will affect how that OS will
> install on any particular system irregardless of how previous version
> installed on the Same system.
> It is just a hardware/software fact of life.
>

>     Charles
>
> --------------
> innovate, v.:
>       To annoy people.
> ----------------------
> Charles A Edwards
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ----------------------

gee, I would not make such a sweeping statement, under most conditions
anyway, (hope that sounded wishy-washy enough) as "Any changes to an OS" at
least in Linux. I do agree that the shared mem would normally be the case,
and maybe the way the kernel gets the mem info from the Motherboard BIOS is
different enough to cause the change, I just did not know if you had some
info about that that I did not have. but hmmmmmm "irregardless of how
previous version" is kind of a "closed source" perspective, if you don't mind
my saying so. I like to think there are folks out in "open source land" that
do have some concept of the different ways different changes in the OS reacts
to different changes in configuration, and that they will share the info. a
little different than trying to get M$ to explain why my pcmcia card reader
will work under win 98 but not ME. ( I do "understand" their explanation,
but I wish they would share a lot more info instead of expecting me to accept
as fact certain propositions without allowing me to confirm independently the
basics of the propositions.)