On Thu, 2002-07-04 at 10:01, Matthew O. Persico wrote:

> My XP Pro and Mandrake 8.2 boxes are on the same network. I usually telnet into MD
>from XP, I have samba set up - theytalk to each other. And my DSL connection is
>shared by both.
>
> Due to the security setup used at my job, I have to connectto my via modem and it
>has to live on XP.  I cannot plug the modem into MD and dial from there.
>
> What I'd LIKE to do, however, is dial in via XP, but use the connection from my MS
>box.
>
> I guess I need to tell XP to share the connection and tell MD to route requests
>withthe address myjob.com to the XP box.
>
> I obviously haven't been looking in the right places. Can anyone point me at a good
>resource for this?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Matthew

Matthew,

Just switch on Internet Connection Sharing on the XP box.  It will need
the IP address set at 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 for that to
work.  Then on your LM box run the Control Center > Network and Internet
> Connection wizard. Set your IP to say 192.168.0.2 (same subnet) and
set the gateway to 192.168.0.1

You can enter the address of the primary DNS server at this point as
well.  If there are more DNS servers (secondary etc) the easiest way to
add them is to edit /etc/resolv.conf and add more nameserver entries.

That should get you up and running.

cheers
Brian