I went and picked up the cooker kernel (source rpm) and build it to try
and address some major hardware problems I have.

I built the kernel, and installed it (make menuconfig, make dep, make
bzImage, make modules, make modules_install). I updated lilo.conf and
added a new entry as I kept the new kernel separate from my existing
kernel.

well the kernel panic'd.  Didn't boot at all.  I get messages about
reiserfs and stuff but I can't read them as they fly by too fast.  I
looked under /var/log but couldn't find the messages.  Where would the
boot log for these failed boots be stored (what file?)

It seems as though my boot doesn't get far enough to start writing the
log to a file.  Here are some of the messages that I can read:

kmod: failed to exec modprobe -s -k freereiserfs errno=2
mount: error 19 mounting reiserfs flags notail
pivotroot:pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed 2

any idead?  I compiled in reiserfs suppport but it doesn't look good!

Darren