If I'm not mistaken, the 1.0-5 is a cooker RPM made with gcc 3.1 and not compatible
with a standard 8.2 install.  I don't know if that is the cause of your problem,
though.  I do know that 1.0-2 RPM works fine.  As for missing soffice files, while the
install that you download from OpenOffice.org will have them, whoever compiled them
for Mandrake (the mdk.i586 rpms) have them called oofice, oowriter, etc.  They also
install under /usr/bin instead of the standard place that OpenOffice.org installs.

If you want to use the Mandrake specific rpm, then use
OpenOffice.org-1.0-2.1mdk.i586.rpm.  Otherwise, you can download the install program
direct from OpenOffice.org but will need to manually set up your icons in Mandrake.

Joe