PlugHead wrote:

>Just out of idle curiosity, has anyone got the 2.5 kernel working with MDK?
>
>If so, what's involved?  Are we talking about "just" building the kernel, or
>does everything else have to be rebuilt from source? (And how much just
>doesn't work?)
>
>Finally, anyone know if/when 2.5 might find it's way into cooker?  (Or, is it
>a "development only" build?)
>
>Thanks,
>-Jason
>

>=========================
>Something wonderful, if you took the long view, was about to happen.
>If you took the short or medium view, something horrible was about to happen.
>It's like the difference between seeing a beautiful new star in the winter sky
>and actually being close to the supernova. It's the difference between the
>beauty of morning dew on a cobweb and actually being a fly.
>(Reaper Man)

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

It is a development only build...

In order to make 2.5 work with mandrake, you will need to compile it for
your machine so that /lib/modules has the right modules for your use.

In the process you WILL break

Win4Lin
VMware
NVidia binary drivers

And these may not be recoverable for that kernel since they are
binary-only built for a specific kernel  (we have enough trouble with
lernel updates) or you may accomplish something with a tweak.  NVidia
used to have a srpm for its kernel module on site, and once you have rpm
working,

rpm --rebuild

on that srpm should produce an rpm that will install a kernel module.
 It is a source wrapper around their big binary.

Now the next question is "What Compiler?"  I think gcc3.1 would be for
Cooker or 2.96 for 8.2, else you will break binary compatibility
altogether..

And, yes, Cooker is where the next release is developing, and software
that is supposed to be stable is what is included there.  So don't look
for a development kernel there.

Civileme