> Trying to install 8.2 on a system with 500Mhz Celeron/192MB/20GB.  Here
> are the consistent problems:
>
> During install, at least one package fails.
> Disk 2 is not accepted, even though it takes just fine on other
> computers.
> On first boot, I'll get the first "L" in lilo and then a repeated 2
> digit number sequence.
> If I change IDE controllers, it will say invalid system disk.
> Changed out the IDE cable, no change.
> From bootdisk I get "Kernel panic:  some syncing error thats too long
> for jason to remember  haha :-p"
> Change out hard drives and will boot off one controller (until kernel
> panic) but not the other.
>
> I'm inclined to think MOBO, but I'd like a second opinion.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> jason
> gmaestro.org

I've seen this often myself.

I can get around the CD switching problem by an FTP install. I do it so
often it is conveninet to set up an image on one machine largely for this
purpose,.

I recertify drives if I have any doubts.

I've tossed more than one motherboard in the trash lately. We seem to be
pressing things. In at least one case I think the problem was inadequate
(marginal power supply) and in another inadequate cooling (small CPU
fan)but 500Mhz Celerons are usually kind in this regard.

I'd turn off DMA in the BIOS before I gave up.

Jim Tarvid