On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:53:31 -0500
nDiScReEt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 July 2002 6:06 am, g wrote:
> > civileme wrote:
> > >
> > > There was a 7.0 version for 486,
> >
> > nice info.
> > you shot some dreams, not mine. mainly, saved a lot of time.
> > i >had< thoughts of 'make do' with 486 boxes. they will now
> > be headless controllers. aka, buttons, lights, whistles, in
> > a big metal box.
> >
> > thank you also, mviron mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > have no need for 'inteligent' terminals. <<bwg>>
> > will save links http://links4future.ref
> >

> > still dealing with 'subject',
> >
> > r2i has yet rolled up http://www.civileme.net/Software/ aoy.
> >
> > was of note,
> >
> > > Of course none of these are compliant with the Linux
> > > Standard Base. They were al;l made prior to its adoption.
> > >
> > > Civileme
> >
> > ru al wz?
> > .
> > .
> > iwz z80wz
> > .
> >
> > i still fire up still sds z80 designer board.
> > i still like seeing 4 + 2 seven seg displays.
> > can still 'touch enter' keypad.
> >
> > btw, if this hits twice, please excuse.
> > i am now making 5th attempt to send...
> >

> > peace out, rocky.
> >
> > tc,hago.

> > .
>
> You either can deal with making them work using Linux From
> Scratch (requires a linux distro already be installed first) or
> use gentoo linux (the stage 1 method).

3rd method works as well. Actually 4 and 5 if you want to install
from a distro and CD ... go Slackware or Debian.  They both work
well on 486 below 50mhz.  Now if it's like my little box that has
a 100mhz AMD and is capable of running win98 Go RH ... chose the
2.2 kernel (for an even faster box go 2.0 kernel.  The hardware it
doesn't support can't be used on a 486 anyway, but you'll have to
build it later after the install.)  Just make sure of the
following.  DON'T try kde or gnome... they are just plain too big.
Go with ICE or some other small wm.  As for browsers go with
browsex it's fast and light and will actually start in under an
hour.  Final idea.... check out the rule project www.rule.org.
RULE stands for Run Up2date Linux Everywhere.

James