Scott wrote on Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 08:15:42PM -0400 :

> I do understand the host look up delay.  Explains why Apache has host look
> up off and responds instantly.

Zactly.

> > But that doesn't sound like your problem.  It sounds like you are having
> > problems with reverse lookups from local connections.  You should have a
> > DNS server setup on your local lan that is authoritative for the domain
> > name you are using *AND* the local IP subnet (reverse).  So if you were
> > using *.domain.com and 192.168.1.*, then your dns server should be
> > authoritative for domain.com and 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> The slow response is any connection inside the network and out.  I can
> send you the IP address if you would like to see the delay yourself.  I

Hmmmm, yes.  What services are being offered here?

> have the two domain servers for the network is resolv.conf, they are the
> authority for the network.

I'll verify that when I get the IP address of the site that you are
troubleshooting.

> This is on the network at my ISP.  I am converting several BSDI boxes over
> to Mandrake for production use.  The two DNS boxes are still running BSDI,
> but are functional.

Your Clue seems to be at quite a high level, so I'll try not to dwell on
the obvious things.

Blue skies...           Todd
--
  Todd Lyons -- MandrakeSoft, Inc.   http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because