James Sparenberg wrote:

> DrJung,
>    Your are again as you very often are, correct.  However I
> suggested Snort because it is a possible intrusion that he has,
> not just a changed file.  Tripwire doesn't tell you for example
> where the intruder is coming from.  I find this to be a lot more
> useful than just knowing that something changed.  The idea of
> using both is worthy of a thought. But being the paranoid I am I
> usually just pull the drive and do a postmortem wipe it and start
> over.  Why? Because although Tripwire tells me what has changed in
> the files it checks, it doesn't tell me what changed in the files
> it doesn't check or didn't exist before.  This is by the way where
> I find partimage to be very useful.  Just image a partition before
> connecting the box to the world and after it runs the way I like
> then if anything does happen...... wipe and restore from images...
> much faster than a full install.  And hackers have a hard time
> editing things they can't find.... like in my office safe.
>
> James

James, you are absolutely right, as you tend to be right on many
ocassions also, that once a change is detected with tripwire or an
intrustion with snort, it is time to put the recovery plan in motion.
And everyone should, sure as hell, have just such a plan for just such
circumstances....

drjung

--
J. Craig Woods