I think you are correct about KDE/Konqueror thinking my printer is set to
"A4"but it is set to "US Letter".

in konquerorrc I find

[KPrinter Settings]
PrintCommand=
Printer=tek

It is the same in kmail.

I don't think setting Paper size has any effect.

Before making a change to paper size selection.

ls -lat /home/tarvid/.kde/share/config | less
total 184
drwxr-xr-x    2 tarvid   tarvid       4096 Aug  1 10:36 ./
-rw-------    1 tarvid   tarvid       1300 Aug  1 10:36 konq_history
-rw-------    1 tarvid   tarvid       2121 Aug  1 10:23 kickerrc
-rw-------    1 tarvid   tarvid         93 Aug  1 10:23 kcontrolrc
-rw-------    1 tarvid   tarvid      21648 Aug  1 10:15 kmailrc
-rw-------    1 tarvid   tarvid        108 Aug  1 09:06 kdeprintrc

After making a change, saving it and clicking OK twice

total 184
drwxr-xr-x    2 tarvid   tarvid       4096 Aug  1 10:36 ./
-rw-------    1 tarvid   tarvid       1300 Aug  1 10:36 konq_history
-rw-------    1 tarvid   tarvid       2121 Aug  1 10:23 kickerrc
-rw-------    1 tarvid   tarvid         93 Aug  1 10:23 kcontrolrc
-rw-------    1 tarvid   tarvid      21648 Aug  1 10:15 kmailrc