I'm using Mozilla 0.9.8 on Mandrake 8.2 and generally like it quite
well.  I open a lot of what I hoped were separate instances.  (I
typically do this by pressing <alt><F2> and then typing (or selecting)
mozilla.)  Then, in each separate instance, I open multiple tabs for
related pages.

PROBLEM: My problem is, twice I've had one window / instance of Mozilla
crash, and each time it's closed all the open Mozilla windows.  So, I
guess I was not really getting separate instances of Mozilla, but they
were all sharing one executable or some portion thereof.

ASIDE: I typically have 14 to 20 separate instances open and maybe an
average of 3 tabs in each -- but that varies from no tabs (only the one
main window open) to sometimes 12 to 15.  And, that gives you an idea of
how frustrating it is when this happens -- possibly 40 windows with
either reading or editing in some state of "progress" and they all
disappear.  (One reason I work this way is because I'm on a dial up -- I
start loading a page, then do something else and come back to it later.)

QUESTIONS:

1. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

2. Is there a way to start Mozilla to truly get separate instances, so
that the crash of one window / instance will not cause the loss of all
of them?

3. Has anything changed in the more up-to-date versions of Mozilla to
make this less likely to happen?

4. Suggestions on a good Mozilla mailing list to ask this question and
potentially subscribe, i.e., without too much traffic?

5. Other suggestions?  Konqueror used to be my favorite browser, but
2.2.1 (with Mandrake 8.2) has a bug that makes editing a TWiki very
difficult).  Netscape below 6 is ugly, Netscape 6 plus and Galeon are
based on Mozilla, so I suspect the same problem can exist for them.  I
don't like upgrading software, in general (as I'm still a Linux newbie)
and with the problems I've heard about upgrading Mozilla I probably
don't want to try unless I'm reasonably sure the problem has been
solved.

Just for the record, the konqueror problem is that if I try to edit a
TWiki page, (1) the text wraps beyond the width of my window (800x600
resolution), so I have to horizontally scroll each line to read and edit
it, and (2) there is no horizontal scroll bar, so I can't easily scroll
but must use, for example, the Home and End keys.

Thanks!
Randy Kramer