That was actually not such an extreme example. Just one that tends to
intimidate new admins because "the system" as you know it, isn't there.
You're working from a bunch of temporary mounts. It's actually not that big
a deal to fix. Just a royal pain in the ass because it always seems to
happen at 2:00am, when "I'm" the one on call.. LOL

I just finished doing a similar one on an IBM. The box wouldn't finish
booting. So I couldn't get to the console. We had to string a serial cable
to it, and get an ascii terminal running. It turned out that the system had
crashed, and true to AIX, it was trying to write a report out to tape to
send off to IBM (they're so helpful!). But since there was no tape in the
drive, it couldn't, so it hung. Trouble was, it wasn't booted far enough to
reach the console, so the only way to cancel the hung job was via an ascii
teminal. Once the job was killed, the box very happily finished booting, and
all is well. <grief>. But without knowing how to set up a quick ascii term,
and run without a GUI, I'd have lost the server over a trivial thing. It
just pays to spend the time to learn to do things without the GUI.

GUIs are nice. I agree. There are times that I still use them. But in *nix,
there are times when it just isn't there. Personally, I'm not that fond of
rebuilding systems. It's one thing with a desktop, it's another entirely to
loose an enterprise server. ;)

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box.

Ric Tibbetts
Unix Systems Administration