On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 13:23, Sevatio wrote:
> I'm trying to share an internet connection from a cable modem (attbi)
> that provides me with a dynamic IP address.
>
> My sharing PC is running LM8.2 w/ two NICs.  My LAN has 3 linux & 2
> windows boxes.
>
> I used Mandrake Control Centre to setup the connection sharing.  But
> something is still screwy in that sometimes it works and sometimes it
> doesn't; especially the windows machines.

OK, but you're gonna have to be more specific than that.  Is windows
telling you there's no connection?  you can't download anything?

make sure you've reset your modem.  My roadrunner modem has to be reset
occasionally (stupid cheap hardware mumble...)

> and then I noticed that Mandrake Control Centre set both the LAN & WAN
> NICs to have the same IP 192.168.0.1 .  Is this going to confuse that
> PC?  If so, what IPs are typically assigned for internal and external in
> this situation?

Make sure you told MCC the correct card to use as the internal address,
that might give you some grief.  I did something very similar recently
and it worked smooth as silk.  now if only I could do it with OpenBSD...

--
jason
gmaestro.org