Hello. I don't know about VIA problems, but maybe he can add some
boot-time parameters to the installation kernel to get a bit further...

If he has some problems with dma (as it seems to be), maybe he can try
forcing ide speed:
idebus=100

If it fails, try no dma:
ide0=nodma ide1=nodma ide2=nodma ide3=nodma

If it fails, try to guess pci option from bios/hardware/...:
pci=off

Or:
pci=bios

Or:
pci=nobios

Or:
pci=biosirq

If nothing else works maybe (as it happened to me with another raid
motherboard) that as soon as the kernel loads a certain module it
suddenly understands more ide's than in the initial boot and remaps them
spoiling the boot process. If so, he can try forcing them to be what
they should be. For exaple, to make hde be the first drive (probably
"hda"), hdf to be the second one, and so, try something like this but
whith proper driver identifiers:
disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80
disk=/dev/hdf bios=0x81
disk=/dev/hda bios=0x82
disk=/dev/hdc bios=0x83

Anyhow, goodluck as it looks like a complex issue... (at least to me!!)

PS: You can find more on kernel parameters on
http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/doc/kernel-parameters.txt.html

El vie, 16-08-2002 a las 21:51, Wolfgang Bornath escribió:
> Hi,
>
> a german user (probably a non-english speaker) asked me:
>
> --quote------------------------------------------------------------
> "I'd like to install Mandrake Linux 8.2 but at the start of the
> installation process the machine hangs with these last lines:
>
> VP_IDE : VIA vt8233 (rev 00) IDE UDMA100 Contoller on PCI 00: 11.1
>
> ide2: BM-DMA at 0XFF00-=XFF07, BiosSettings: hde pio, hdf: pio
>
> ide3: BM-DMA at 0XFF08-=XFF0F, BiosSettings: hdg DMA, hdh: DMA
>
> Hardware:
>
> MSI-Board:
> ===================
> SLOT  A  -  BIOS AMI - Vers. 062710
>
> Promise Fast Track 100 Lite / Ultra 100 EIDE - Controller
> Name Product: Promise Technology PDC 20265 FAST TRACK 100 Lite / Ultra
> 100 EIDE - Controller
>
> MSI K7T 266 PRO / Version MS-6380 -  1.0A
> VIA Apollo KT266
> VT 8366  Super Nothbridge
> VT 8233  Southbridge
> System SMBus Contoller = VIA VT823xSMBus - 16 kHz"
> --unquote-----------------------------------------------------------
>
> I'm sure I read something about the VIA chipset and also something
> about the Promise controller. I searched google and the mailinglist
> archive and found a lot about this but nothing about installation
> issues.
>
> This german user seems to be a total newbie (as he himself writes) so
> the help has to be really in a hand-holding way.
>
> Could someone please point me into the right direction so that I can
> help him?
>
> wobo
> --
> "... and anyway, an html can't carry a virus." (Aug 2001, Usenet)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ICQ: #128612867      GPG-ID: A69882EE
> ISDN4LINUX-FAQ -- Deutsch: http://www.wolf-b.de/i4l/i4lfaq-de.html
>
> ----

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Yahoo! Messenger