No experience at all on wireless NIC's... but I have some experience
mounting GSM (mobile phone network), and I can tell you that being below
the maximun distance between antennas, the most important (almost the
only) thing to worry about is having direct line of sight from one
antenna to the other.

Anyway, if possible I would buy/make a very directive antenna in both
ends (or at least in one of them) and point one to the other instead of
the omni as you would dramatically increase power and quality signals
(increasing range/possible speed) and for sure you still be covering
more neighbourhood that strictly your house.

Good luck.

El vie, 16-08-2002 a las 22:59, Dodd, David J escribió:

> I have a linksys access point and it has good transmission but if you
> want to measure it use wavmon.  You can set up an omni dir antenna to
> get a little more range.  Setup a VPN for security would be a good
> measure.
>

>   I just bought the house across the street from my current home. HouseA
>   has DSL service and my entire network configured. I would like to
>   share the DSL connection from one house to the other. Has anyone here
>   experimented with any of the wireless options on Mandrake (or any
>   Linux for that matter)? What's the throughput like? Does weather
>   adversely affect the transmissions speeds? What is the range?
>
>   Thanks for any pointers.
>  Kwan
>

> ----

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Copa del Mundo de la FIFA 2002
El único lugar de Internet con vídeos de los 64 partidos.
¡Apúntante ya! en http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/es/