I've traced down my printing problems to a foomatic error in MDK 8.2. I
am printing to a Samba-based printer on a remote host, but the Samba
connection is ok. The bad foomatic line ends with

    'sOutputFile=/dev/fd/3' '/dev/fd/0' 3>&1 1>&2

and the error I get is... "Unable to open the initial device, quitting."

/dev/fd/0 is a symlink to /dev/pts/1, and so is /dev/pts/0 and
/dev/pts/2, but /dev/fd/3 does not exist! How should I fix this?

Anyone know what are these links about and what creates them? I'm
running with a high-security installation and the permissions for
/dev/fd are r-x for root. Maybe Mandrake Control Center was supposed to
create something here when I set up the printer, but was prevented
somehow?

-- j