Damn sympa giving me fits again. Let try this one!

Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> I've noticed that the account "nobody" on this system has a user id of
> 65534.  Is this correct?
>
> I'm asking because "back in the day" I used to make backdoor admin
> accounts using UID numbers higher than 65535.  I thought it mighty odd
> to see a UID number this large naturally on the system.
>
> Comments...?
>
> LX

LX, it depends on the OS, and, for linux, the distro. Earlier versions
of mandrake used 99 as a uid for "nobody", and Red Hat still uses 99 as
the uid for nobody, at least as recent as v7.2. Most current UNIX
systems also use 99 as the uid for "nobody". You must be using some
newer version of mandrake, and the uid of 65534 is "correct" for that
version.

Hope it helps,
drjung

--