oops, forgot about sending it to the list..

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT Network/System Administration
Jay wrote:

> Hey, my syslog has a dozens of entries similar to the following
>
> lame server resolving 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa' (in
> 'xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa'?): xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx#53
>
> all with different IP's...
>
> As far as I can tell, some client is asking my server for information on an IP
> but my server doesn't have that information? Is that what lame server
> resolving is?
>
> Jay

Are you running a public dns server? What this message means is that
some other dns server is running on the internet, and it does not have
its namespace in an upstream dns server. This means that recursion is
not working for this lame server's in-addr.arpa zone (reverse lookup).
This is not your foul up, it is some other person's foul up, namely the
person that setup the "lame" dns server. They did not do it correctly.

The reason for asking you if your dns server was public, and, therefore,
on the internet was because you need to have at least two other dns
servers that have your dns server's namespace in their RR's (resource
records). These two other dns servers will point back to your dns
server, and they will provide your dns server with recursive
functionality. Therefore, you will not be the "lame server". I would
assume that the x's in your ip address example, from your log file, are
NOT your dns server's ip address, right? In this case, some other person
has screwed up their dns setup. You can not do much about these
messages, except to email the clown, and tell him/her to get their shit
together (you will do this to no avail. Take it from one who has tried a
time or two).

> --
> Crowded elevators smell different to midgets.

Now I have seen some sick sigs in my time but this one is certainly one
of the sickest I have ever seen. You win, hands down, with this one. I
certainly hope it is attached to all your mail, especially your
important business correspondence. The world is in need of this kind of
sickness. Keep up the good work :-)

drjung

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT Network/System Administration
http://www.trismegistus.net/resume.html
Character is built upon the debris of despair --Emerson
--- End Message ---