Jay wrote on Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 04:53:23PM -0400 :

> lame server resolving 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa' (in
> 'xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa'?): xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx#53
> As far as I can tell, some client is asking my server for information on an IP
> but my server doesn't have that information? Is that what lame server
> resolving is?

Some client equals YOUR machines.  And no, it's not your server that has
the problem, it's other people's servers.

Let's say that whois on domain mrball.net results in dns entries:
   DNS15.REGISTER.COM             216.21.234.78
   DNS16.REGISTER.COM             209.67.50.246
   NIXBOX.NIXIT.CA                24.101.148.92

If you query dns15 and dns16, you will get an answer for hostnames in
the mrball.net domain.  However, the proprietor of the third entry does
not have any real information about mrball.net.  (The real whois results
are just the first two).  When you try to ping/lynx/whatever to
www.mrball.net, you ask your nameserver for the IP address, it gets the
list of authoritative DNS servers, and then asks one of them.  If it
finds that one says "I don't know anything about mrball.net" even though
the above records indicate it _should_, then THAT is a lame server and
your dns server records it in your logs.

The problem is much more frequent with reverse lookups than it is with
forward lookups.

Blue skies...                   Todd
--
  Todd Lyons -- MandrakeSoft, Inc.   http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because